Sunday 28 October 2012

28/10/12

Apologies for the poor sub-editing - no spellchecker can be found!
Before Friday's Carnaval I had tracked down the vegetarian restuarnat 'Cocinante'. Plantain and mozarella followed by aubergines in a cheese sauce with mushrooms. The latter was too hot for me to finish before getting to the Carnaval, so I got it as a takeaway. &#160; <br>
So at 6.10 a.m. Saturday morning I am eating it cold. By 6.30 the free coffee is on tap and it tastes great - at least this didn't get exported. &#160; After breakfast I try to find the Theatre for 9. As I &#160;traverse the grid system, I bump into someone from the hostel - Adam Dreyfuss, an American here doing research for a book he hopes to get published on William Walker, an American who tried to run Nicaragua as a slave state in the 19th century - they shot him for his efforts. <b

The cultural celebration of 5 years of the Minibiblioteca at the Theatre on Saturday was great - a local singer, lots of dance performances and tableaux and certifictae giving. In between rehearsal and performance Nick from Utrecht took Ros and I to a cafe run by a Dutch woman - Pan y Paz. Sandwiches on fantastic bread - he recommended a very refreshing fruit juice called Pitaya which though a distinct purple had no additives. <br>
I noticed that I have lost weight - my trousers weren't resting on my middle ... So having no belt I had to improvise, using a luggage strap. The thing is that this strap used to belong to my dad, and I kept it as a memento, and as he was called Kenneth, we had the same initials. So around my middle there is a red and blue strap with MR K RIPLEY in white - stylish or what?

Today is Sunday and I am going north to Puerto Morazan by car with teachers who came down for the weekend's events. Meeting them at 8.30 in the bus station. So I am leaving behind the city of Leon and its hostels with WiFi for a much more rural setting and 4 weeks of teaching English in a school. It may be a while before I can upload anymore.

Well the Skype call to Sara worked a treat - even the end of British summer time didn't get in the way. Great to hear the sycamore's down and that hospitality to homeless friends is still available. RIght - off to the north to pass on some northern vowels to unsuspecting Nicas

No comments:

Post a Comment