Wednesday 28 November 2012

Adios a Tonalá

On the Saturday morning Rosa and I joined a bus full of people who were going to visit a spa at Jinotepe. Alexis came along too  as he was on his way for his Saturday English course at the University.
 We left Tonalá at about 5.20 and drove through the dark. The sun started to rise as we got to El Viejo. Just out of there we hit a big traffic jam. People got out and when I asked what was happening, I was told it was 'The Virgin'!
It turned out to be a religious procession, walking with an icon to the church in El Viejo.
After half an hour we got going again, and at 7 they dropped us off on the edge of León. We got a taxi in, and I got out at the bus station at 7.15, leaving Alexis to guide Rosa to her hostel for her 3 weeks in León. 
I got talking to a lady going to Estelí who told me the bus came at 9, so I had a bit of a wait. At 8.45 a man came up and started handing out playing  cards. I was 3rd in line so I got the 2 of clubs - aces were low.
The bus turned up at 10.20 and after it had filled up, set off at 10.40. It stopped after a few blocks to fit in 4 more people who had been at the end of the queue. The man in charge had some fold up seats that covered the aisle. I almost expected him to put folk on the roof.
Well off we went again and eventually got into the hills - reminded me of Spain a lot. Then when we joined the Pan American that joins North & South America highway the trucks and cars increased and the towns started to look more prosperous.

No comments:

Post a Comment