Sunday 25 November 2012

Teaching in Tonalá

The schools have 2 sessions - a morning session that runs from 7.30 -12, and an afternoon one from 12.30-5. The morning catered for children from the nearby communities, some of whom had cycled for 7 kms. to get there, and the afternoon was for children from Tonalá itself. There was a morning shift of teachers and an afternoon one.
It was suggested that I work with Alexis, the afternoon teacher of English for the 2nd half of my 4 weeks - and it was fun. He also did some dance classes with the children which were great fun, but my foot stopped me from joining in!
The school is in serious need of some money spending on it, especially as Nicaragua has a very young population - Tonalá families tend to be big.  There weren't enough cairs for the students, so some leaned on windowsills. In one class there was a hole in the back wall which provided a seat. The side walls also had holes in them, and at one point a dog wandered in from the playground, through the class and out the door! Later a  pig wandered past outside in the playground, but at least he had the courteosynot to come in.

1 comment:

  1. Sould I remind you that the whole point of retirement is to stop teaching! ....
    Last time I checked this blog there was still just the original posting. This time round I am positively overwhelmed by the volume of posts. Welcome to the blogosphere! Do we see a 21st century Keith emerging?....!
    I have shown the photos to Christy who asks me every week, without fail, how you are.
    Well, keep writing or 'blogging' as you techy types call it...... But do find some time for some R&R!

    ReplyDelete