Friday 30 November 2012

Somoto canyon

Various projects are supported by Cafe Lina (see www.cafeluzyluna ) which is run by Jane who used to live in Bristol. Tourists help to add to the money that people have.
I joined a trip to Somoto Canyon, which was only discovered within the last decade by a Czech geologist. Now groups trek up there, and then scramble down, wade, swim and jump into the River Coco (and at the end you get rowed), which rises in the nearby Honduran hills and then as the longest river in Central America makes its way to the Atlantic. I was the only taker that day - my guide and I had it to ourselves.
I felt sorry for him as the day was overcast and he thought the water was frio - but it was warmer than any English river I'd been in. There are lots of YouTube clips of Somoto, but none of me, so I'll just say I went for the 10 foot jump. I slept well that night.

It's summer now in Nicaragua, and children's summer holidays are the whole of December and January. Summer lasts from November to April, but is cooler than winter, which lasts from May to October. Winter is wet, summer is dry  simple really


No comments:

Post a Comment